So let’s take two great cookies and combine them. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are great with coffee and hot chocolate. This recipe uses whole wheat flour but you won’t notice a taste difference.
Our kids really love this recipe when we add a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. Of course, you can add just about any kind of goodies you like. We have made them with raisins, dried cranberries and one time we used some mini M&M’s.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups butter or shortening
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- If you are going to bake two sheets of cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and peanut butter with electric beaters.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, eggs; and mix well.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Drop by the rounded teaspoonfuls or cookie scoop onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Flatten with fork. Bake for 12 minutes or until done. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely.
Makes about 36 cookies.
Return from Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies to Drop Cookies
Return to: cookie recipes