This is a delicious Orange Cookie Recipe with crispy edges and a chewy middle.These cookies get their orange flavor from orange extract and orange peel. One of the easiest ways to get the orange peel needed for the recipe is to use a Zester. By dragging the zester over the orange, you get thin strips of orange peel very quickly.
Ovens vary in the way they cook. You might want to try doing one or two cookies first to see how far they spread out. If the cookies spread out too far then the edges will be thin and dark brown. If this is the case, then add a bit more flour to the batter. The cookies in the photo are 3 – 3 1/2 inches wide.
Orange Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine softened
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- If you are going to bake two sheets of cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together the Butter, Sugar, Orange juice, Orange Peel and Egg.
- With a mixing spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt that you mixed earlier.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls or small cookie scoop onto ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes until edges are golden brown. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Once you take them out, transfer them immediately to cooling racks to cool completely. They will be a bit floppy like pancakes when you take them off the baking sheet.
Return to Drop Cookies
Return to Cookie Recipes