Chocolate Macaroons are little mouthfuls of heaven. Who can resist the combination of coconut and rich chocolate? The centers have a chewy texture that melts in your mouth. They have become one of the favorite family recipes for satisfying our chocolate sweet tooth.
Macaroons are a different kind of cookie that doesn’t use flour or butter, they are held together by egg whites. To get the macaroons in the shape you see in the picture to the right, we used a cookie scoop.
Chocolate Macaroon Cookie Recipe
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- Gently melt the Chocolate in a double boiler or a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is well coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the batter until firm, about 30 minutes.
- If you are going to bake two sheets of Chocolate Macaroons at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or grease them lightly.
- Drop batter by small mounds (about 1 tablespoon) several inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. (a cookie scoop works well)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the macaroons are shiny. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Remove from oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool for ten minutes.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool completely on rack.
Makes about 20 Macaroons
Return from Chocolate Macaroons to Chocolate Cookies
Return to Drop Cookies
Return to Cookie Recipes
See Also: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes