These Chocolate Butter Cookies have a wonderful chocolate flavor. After the dough is made, it needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours so that it is stiff enough to be rolled into balls.
If you would like to make different shapes like the ones in the photo to the right, then you can roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, one-third of the dough at a time (keeping the remaining dough in the refrigerator) to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place onto ungreased baking sheets 1 inch apart.
Bake them for the same times indicated below.
We didn’t dust the chocolate butter cookies with powdered sugar for the photo so that you could see what they are supposed to look like before decorating.
Chocolate Butter Cookie Recipe
- 3/4 cup of butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Powdered sugar for dusting cookies
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (about 3 minutes)
- Add egg and almond extract; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low; beat, gradually adding flour and cocoa and scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds. Wrap each third in plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).
- If you are going to bake two sheets of cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Shape dough with floured hands, one-third at a time (keep remaining dough refrigerated), into 1-inch balls.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Baking sheets may be ungreased or lined with parchment paper. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until set. (Surface may crack slightly.)
- Remove cookies from baking sheet onto cooling racks and dust them with powdered sugar (optional). Let them finish cooling on wire racks.
Return from Chocolate Butter Cookies to Shaped Cookies
Return from Chocolate Butter Cookies to Chocolate Cookies
Return to Cookie Recipes